Post Extraction Aftercare
1. DO NOT RINSE YOUR MOUTH for the remainder of the day. If you do rinse, the clot of blood in the socket will be washed away and the bleeding will start again.
2. NO SMOKING FOR 24 HOURS
3. DO NOT TAKE ANY EXERCISE OR ALCOHOL for the remainder of the day, if you do the socket may start bleeding again.
4. DIET Eat fairly soft food for the rest of the day to prevent disturbing the blood clot.
5. IF BLEEDING DOES OCCUR place a wad of clean damp gauze or a folded clean handkerchief across the socket and bite on it for fifteen minutes. Time yourself and do not keep removing the handkerchief to look at the socket.
6. THE DAY AFTER THE EXTRACTION (but not before) use hot salty water to rinse with. Put a teaspoonful of salt in a cup of comfortably hot water. This will help to keep the socket clean and help prevent infection. Repeat this procedure 3 or 4 times a day for a week.
7. PAIN If you experience slight pain for a while after the extraction take your usual painkiller.
8. In the case of any problems, please contact us on 0121 747 2071. At weekends an answerphone will put you in touch with the dentist on call.
Please see below a list of Invisalign instructions that will ensure you achieve optimum results.
Wear your aligners for at least 22 hours a day. They can be taken out to eat and to brush your teeth (hot drinks are an exception).
Try to brush your teeth after every meal where possible to reduce the risk of cavities.
Ensure you floss every evening after cleaning.
Avoid heavily staining foods, i.e., turmeric, see an example of what can happen below!
Ensure you use your ‘chewies’ each time you put your aligners back in.
Keep aligners away from harsh chemicals, hot temperatures, and boiling water (they are plastic!)
Only clean your aligners with cold water, if staining occurs you can use the cleaning sachets provided in your Invisalign pack or you can clean them with retainer brite (this is available from amazon)
Use a nail file to smooth any rough edges on the aligners that may cause you any discomfort.
ALWAYS remember ‘If they are not in your face they are in the case!’
Do NOT wrap aligners in a napkin; they may be thrown away by accident.
Always remove aligners by starting from the back